We are excited to announce two major milestones in establishing a Lakeside affiliated micro-school: the location and name of the new school.
The Downtown School: A Lakeside School will be located next to Seattle Center in a historic school building updated to serve as a dynamic space for learning.
The building is 16,000 square feet and located on Warren Avenue North off John Street, two blocks from Pacific Science Center. The space includes seven large classrooms, a sizable multipurpose commons area, and flexible spaces for collaboration and quiet work.
"We are thrilled to find a building that meets both our programmatic needs and is financially a great deal," said Sue Belcher, The Downtown School's head of school. "I think students and faculty will love the big, light-filled classrooms, and the proximity to Seattle Center and downtown will make it easy to use the city itself as a classroom – an aspect of this school that I think will be particularly exciting to students."
In finding a home for the new school, the team evaluated multiple aspects of properties, including building quality; accessibility to students and families (including public transportation); community resources; accessibility to partners; and the cost of real estate and renovations. The Seattle Center-area site scored high in each category.
With the lease signed, Lakeside will now move ahead with plans to update the space to be ready to open in fall 2018. The school is working with Public47 Architects, lead architects Kevin Tabari, AIA, and Jeff Boone, AIA, LEEP AP.
Additional facts about The Downtown School
- This new high school aims to provide a more affordable independent school option for academically talented students.
- It will preserve the fundamental components of Lakeside School: a high-quality academic education, meaningful student-faculty relationships, and a diverse body of students and adults.
- With full enrollment, The Downtown School will serve 160 students in grades 9-12.
- Tuition will be set at approximately $17,000 per year (Lakeside School's 2017-2018 tuition is $33,280).
- The curriculum will combine some of the best aspects of Lakeside School's high-quality academic program with special programs and features that are unique to the new school.
- The school will be separate from but affiliated with Lakeside, with a different educational model, admissions process, student-life program, and cost.
- The Downtown School will begin accepting applications this fall for students entering 9th and 10th grade in the 2018-2019 school year. The online application will be available in Ravenna in September 2017.